12.05.2012

Sweet Creatures

Hey hey.

So, it's been the case for the past few months that finding time to write on my blog (and post work on tumblr, flickr and facebook and all the other social networking sites I should be all up on) is next to impossible.  While I used to wallow at my desk job with plenty of time to work on this stuff my new job is hands on hard work and I get right to work on personal projects when I get home.  As a result now I make things and they sit for weeks without being posted and occasionally even escape documentation.  Before that happens yet again, I want to post a couple things I made in November.

First off is this luck amulet I made for my friend Carol.  She recently lost her store in Ocean City as a result of the hurricane and then immediately after lost her pet cat.  Too too much to deal with.  I thought it might be a good time to make a little prototype luck amulet to give her as a gift.  I've been doing a lot of reading around talismans, the evil eye and amulets lately as some loose preparation for a new series of work.  I hope to one day make these with wood instead of paper, but I thought this gift needed to be really timely so I'll figure out how to do this sort of thing in wood later.  This is tin foil, paper, paint, wooden beads and braided embroidery floss.

If you want to offer some less supernatural support Carol's online store is now being stocked with everything they managed to salvage for 40% off when you use the code 40 at checkout.  The webstore is clothes and accessories.  They'll also be selling the records they managed to salvage at the Punk Rock Flea Market this Sunday so if you see someone selling records under the store name Toilet Water give them an extra look.

On a related note, Carol helped organize this charity raffle to benefit the Atlantic County Humane Society.  They've been working hard in the aftermath of the hurricane, dealing with damage to their own facilities while housing homeless pets, taking in newly homeless pets from families so affected they can no longer afford them, distributing pet food to affected families and even offering temporary housing for pets of families still struggling to make their homes habitable or find new ones.  It's a given that animal shelters are always at maximum capacity and low on resources so an event like this really puts them in a tight spot. So if you're in Philadelphia and you have pets or just want the chance to get some raffle tickets and win some of these cool prizes check it out! I made this flyer featuring a couple of my favorite animal friends for the event and the original will be one of the raffle items.


Also worth noting, if you're close enough to do so and you've been considering getting a pet adopt from the Atlantic County Humane Society. Carol got this amazing kitten with a burglar mask there!
Anyway, I'm really excited to do some new, more ambitious work in the coming year.  Doing lots of creep reading in preparation and hoping to be better at the internet and better at selling stuff.

No comments: